Putting the fun back into being pretentious since 2013
"One of the few remaining reasons I'm on Twitter" - @B0ne5

Monday, 10 August 2026

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Get Ready for Love

Small Stories (31 July 2026)

Haven't written one of these for ages. It's been so long I've forgotten the format. I'll get it together.

Let's cut to the chase - I saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds play at Preston Park in Brighton at the end of July. 

Despite buying his records on and off for more than 40 years I'd never seen him play live before. I found myself on a priority ticket list for his one gig in the UK this year so I was delighted to secure a couple for me and Mrs Tea at Johnny's.

I learnt a few things. Preston Park is much bigger than I thought for one. I had no idea there would be 45,000 people there in a festival-style environment. I also learnt that I really don't enjoy festival environments.

But the main thing I learnt was I was surprised with how much I wanted to be there. I didn't hit me until the first song kicked in - Get Ready For Love. I think you get a bit blase with age, well I do.

It didn't have the emotional pull of From Her to Eternity or Where the Wild Roses Grow (Kylie Minogue joined Cave for that one) which both had me on the edge of tears.

Get Ready for Love, from the double album Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus, gets the vote as it is a brilliant song and one that lit (small) fire in me again on a hot Friday night in Brighton.


No comments:

Post a Comment