Putting the fun back into being pretentious since 2013
"One of the few remaining reasons I'm on Twitter" - @B0ne5

Sunday 14 January 2024

The Rakes: Suspicious Eyes

Track of the Week - 14 January 2024

Last week's selection picked up on a recurring theme and this one also does so. Different theme mind.

Regular readers (thank you and sorry) have me bang on about my eyes every so often. This week I was back in for another check-up.

Surprisingly the consultant decided to downgrade one of my eyes from having glaucoma to 'suspect glaucoma'. So, as I really like this song I'm changing verb to adjective and singular to plural so I can use it.

London-based post-punk outfit The Rakes made three great albums in the 2000s before giving up. Suspicious Eyes is from the middle of the three, 2007's Ten New Messages.

One of the album's themes is around Londoners' attitudes post the 7 July 2005 bombings. This track sums up the paranoia and racism felt by some tube travellers in the aftermath.


No comments:

Post a Comment