Putting the fun back into being pretentious since 2013
"One of the few remaining reasons I'm on Twitter" - @B0ne5

Sunday 24 March 2024

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark: Souvenir

Track of the Week - 24 March 2024

I went to see Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD) in Oxford with my friend Colin this week. I'd last seen them nearly 40 years ago and hadn't really paid them a lot of attention in between times as they went a bit over-poppy for me and then courted the American market.

It was a very good show, a nice mix of classic songs and tracks from their latest album Bauhaus Staircase. As is usual when I've been to a gig I've picked something from the set list as my 'track of the week'.

As an aside though, isn't merch expensive now? £30 for a t-shirt, £25 for a cap, £12 for a mug. I'll pass thanks.

And anyway, aren't memories the best sort of souvenir? Surely "feelings still remain" longer than merch. And isn't the memory of a song called Souvenir an even better souvenir? 

Souvenir was the first single release from the 1981 album Architecture and Morality and reached a career high number three. Paul Humphreys is on vocals rather than Andy McCluskey who thought the song was 'a bit soppy'. Soppy or not, it's great.


No comments:

Post a Comment