Putting the fun back into being pretentious since 2013
"One of the few remaining reasons I'm on Twitter" - @B0ne5

Sunday 12 November 2023

David Bowie: Eight Line Poem

Track of the Week - 12 November 2023

In September last year I posted about going to a creative writing group. This week that same creative writing group had a book published. A couple of my poems are in it. Which is nice.

The launch event was where the group meet which also happens to be the place I volunteer and I was asked to read one of my poems to the attendees. Which was very flattering.

It all went well, was a lovely event. I'd better use a poem-related song this week I fancy. 

I thought about The Smiths' Frankly Mr Shankly (because of the 'awful poetry' reference and my talent for self-deprecation) but I used that in 2017. I didn't realise at the time but a photo showed I was speaking into a RØDE-branded microphone so I then though about the Fall's late period masterpiece Mister Rode but I'd used that earlier in 2017.

So I've landed on David Bowie's Eight-Line Poem from his super 1971 album Hunky Dory. It's a bit odd but a lot of poetry is and who are we to question the great man? (At this point in his career anyway.)



No comments:

Post a Comment